The cholera epidemic that ravaged Baltimore in the summer of 1832 was one of the worst public health crises the city ever faced.
When people think about the Civil War, women religious are probably not the first image that comes to mind, but they might think differently after seeing an almost-hidden monument to these sisters in Washington.
The Sisters of Charity of New York announced on April 27 that they will no longer accept new members to their congregation.
Church officials from a diocese in northern Costa Rica confirmed that they welcomed two women religious, members of the Dominican Sisters of the Anunciata, after they were expelled from neighboring Nicaragua in mid-April.
New research from public records and congregation and diocesan archives has found that six congregations of the Sisters of Charity Federation have predecessors who owned slaves.
In 1869, Sister Mary Irene Fitzgibbon, S.C., found an orphaned baby on the steps of St. Peter’s Church in lower Manhattan. Moved with compassion, Sister Mary Irene took the child into the care of her community.
Camp Felix is a monthlong overnight summer camp in Putnam Valley, N.Y., about an hour’s drive north of New York City. It was co-founded 14 years ago by the New York Foundling, one of the state’s oldest and largest child welfare human service agencies. It was founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1869.
Sister Margaret Mary Hannon, S.C., (Sister Marie Daniel) a member of the New York Sisters of Charity for 75 years, died March 4 at Kittay House, Bronx.
Sister Theresa Ryan, S.C., gave herself freely for 45 years for the benefit of the students and parishioners at St. Sebastian. As the parish honored her during Mass Sunday, June 25, the last of the nuns at the Woodside academy asked for a parting gift.
This year, the Diocese of Brooklyn and Queens is proud to honor 72 sisters and brothers who have collectively given 3,315 years of service to the Church and the people of God. Brief bios, photos and more are included in this special supplement of The Tablet.