Three diocesan priests are celebrating their 60th years as priests. Msgrs. Michael Cantley, James Hunt, and Father Dominic Cutrone were ordained by Archbishop Thomas E. Molloy on June 4, 1955 at St. James Pro-Cathedral, Downtown Brooklyn.
Msgr. Cantley served as an assistant at Blessed Sacrament, Jackson Heights, 1955-56, and then began post-graduate studies at Catholic University, Washington, D.C. In 1959, he was appointed to the faculty of St. Joseph’s College for Women, Brooklyn, and taught there until 1972 when he was assigned to the faculty of Immaculate Conception Seminary, Huntington.
In 1981, he became pastor of St. John Vianney, Flushing, and in 1983, he was named pastor of St. Anastasia, Douglaston.
He has served on various diocesan committees, including being a member and chairman of The Tablet’s board of directors.
He lives at Bishop Mugavero Residence, Douglaston.
Father Cutrone, pastor emeritus of Our Lady of Grace, Gravesend, was an assistant at St. Bernadette, Dyker Heights, 1955-65; Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Williamsburg, 1965-70; and St. Finbar, Bath Beach, 1970-77.
He served as pastor at St. Agnes, Cobble Hill, 1977-83; and Our Lady of Grace, 1983-2001. He continues to live in the parish rectory.
Father Cutrone will celebrate a Mass of thanksgiving at Our Lady of Grace Church on Sunday, June 7, at 11:45 a.m. A parish reception will follow in Father Cutrone Gymnasium.
Msgr. Hunt served as an assistant at Transfiguration, Williamsburg, 1955; St. Peter Claver, Bedford-Stuyvesant, 1955-57; and then became a member of the faculty at Cathedral Prep, 1957-64.
In 1964, he joined the Catholic Schools Office as assistant superintendent, 1964-72.
He was administrator of St. Vincent de Paul, Williamsburg, 1972-75 before being named Episcopal Vicar for Vicariate D, 1974-79.
He was pastor at St. Peter Claver, 1979-95, and Our Lady of the Presentation-Our Lady of Charity, Brownsville, 1995-99.
From 2001 to 2011, he worked in pastoral ministry on St. Lucia, West Indies. Since 2011, he has been living at Bishop Mugavero Residence, Douglaston.