Sister M. Adrian O’Connor, O.P., a member of the Sisters of St. Dominic, Amityville, for 72 years, died June 5. She was 90.
Born in Manhattan as Sheila Catherine, she entered the Amityville Dominican Sisters in 1945. She pronounced her vows in 1947.
She taught at Fourteen Holy Martyrs, Bushwick, 1947-52; and Incarnation School, Queens Village, 1952-53.
The Congregation then sent her to study Physical Therapy at St. Louis University from which she received a B.S. degree in science with a concentration in Physical Therapy. She later earned a master’s in Physical Therapy from NYU, followed by a N.Y. State license.
She practiced at St. Catherine’s Hospital, Williamsburg, 1953-65, Mary Immaculate Hospital, Jamaica, 1965-69; and Brunswick Hospital in Amityville, 1969-85.
At Brunswick Hospital, she was named chairperson of the Department of Physical Therapy.
She then ministered at Good Samaritan Home Health Agency, 1989-98, and at the Motherhouse in Amityville for Sisters who were recuperating from bone and joint operations on a long or short-term basis until the year 2000.
In 2012, she moved to Carlin Hall, Amityville.
Burial was in the Sisters’ cemetery in Amityville.