New York News

Rockville Centre Deacon Is Murdered at Halfway House

A deacon of the Rockville Centre Diocese was found stabbed to death outside the halfway house he managed for formerly incarcerated men.

Deacon Patrick Logsdon, 70, was fatally stabbed Nov. 3. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Nassau County Police were looking for suspect Andre Patton, 47, a resident of the Anthony House where Deacon Logsdon ministered in Roosevelt, L.I. The suspect was considered armed and dangerous.

Patton is described as a male with a dark complexion, about six feet tall, 200 pounds, and bald with brown eyes.

Police found Logsdon unresponsive with multiple stab wounds. It was unclear what started the violent attack.

Logsdon has been the manager of the Anthony House for more than 30 years. The house takes in those released from prison, homeless or battling substance abuse. It provides a bed, home cooked meals, and helps the residents to find employment.

Deacon Logsdon dedicated his life to helping these people and was considered as tough but was always optimistic. He did not impose his faith on those he was trying to help, but his faith gave him the strength to always keep working and trying to help.

The Society of St. Vincent de Paul sponsors Anthony House.

Sean Dolan, spokesman for the Diocese issued the following statement: “Even at the time of his death, he (Logsdon) was carrying out the Gospel message of caring for the poor as he has done faithfully for 33 years. Bishop Barres extends his prayers and condolences to the family of Deacon Logsdon, the Anthony House and Saint Vincent de Paul communities and all those affected by this tragedy.

“We are grateful and thankful to the Nassau County Police Department for its work in investigating Deacon Logsdon’s death. Let us seek healing and comfort in the one true God during this time of great loss.”

In his own statement, Bishop Barres said, “Deacon Logsdon’s life was an expression of the corporal works of mercy expressed in a compassionate charity for the homeless and those transitioning from prison life. He lived a Good Samaritan charity every day that spread the aroma of Christ and the spirit of Divine Mercy to all those he served.

“As we mourn his death, we take both consolation and inspiration from the power of the Light of Christ which he spread in his diaconal service and charity.”

The funeral Mass was to be held Nov. 9 at Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Church in Roosevelt, L.I. Bishop Barres was the main celebrant.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *