Mary Queen of Heaven Catholic Academy is Mill Basin’s top educational and Catholic institution, second to none! In keeping up with the ever-changing, highly technological world, the academy is introducing a STREAM curriculum.
The top 10 goals of STREAM as listed by the National Catholic Educational Association, are as follows:
- To incorporate Catholic identity into every aspect of the curriculum through student directed, project-based experiential instruction.
- To be forward thinking, faith-based institutions that place high priority on faculty training, learning, leadership, and 21st- century skill applications.
- To provide a challenging learning environment that is focused on the integration of religion into science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics.
- To increase the content literacy of all students in every aspect of the curriculum, while maintaining a classical Catholic educational foundation.
- To operate with a premise that math and science competencies can be developed, and that every student needs access to a STREAM curriculum to be fully engaged 21st-century learners.
- To promote a climate of innovation in all areas of instruction.
- To inspire the participation of student populations who are traditionally underrepresented in the sciences and arts.
- To foster a climate that encourages problem solving, group collaboration, student-directed learning, and independent research.
- To understand that success is defined in multiple ways, and can – and does – occur in many difficult types of schools and learning environments.
- To utilize strategic planning as a blue print to guide development and implementation of the STREAM curriculum.
Faculty and staff are dedicated to maintaining a Christian atmosphere of respect, love and concern for all students. Attention is focused on the Common Core standards and implementing new strategies for a STREAM curriculum for all students. Students registered for fall classes will have access to the new STREAM media center, science lab, art room and two computer labs.