Brother Donald Sullivan, O.S.F., entered the Franciscan Brothers of Brooklyn from St. Francis Xavier parish in Park Slope in 1947.
He began his teaching career at St. Mary Star of the Sea School, Court St., Carroll Gardens, in 1949.
Later, he was assigned to serve at Our Lady of Good Counsel parish in Bedford-Stuyvesant, and then at St. Brigid’s in Bushwick, until 1957.
He then served as vocation director for the Brooklyn Franciscan Brothers and began his long association with St. Francis College in Brooklyn Heights as an assistant professor.
In 1969, he was named president of the college, a position he held for 26 years until retiring from active ministry in 1995.
While Brother Donald Sullivan, O.S.F., served as president of St. Francis College, the Brooklyn Heights institution became co-educational, its enrollment exceeded 3,000 students and both the Generoso Pope Athletic Complex and the Lee & Peter Callahan Center opened. Today, a scholarship is named in his honor.