The Tablet was one of the big winners at the Catholic Media Convention in St. Louis, June 1-3, capturing 11 awards for journalism excellence.
In all, the DeSales Media Group, parent company of The Tablet, received 24 awards with its Spanish monthly publication, Nuestra Voz, winning in 13 categories.
The Tablet captured three first-place prizes and five second-place awards in the national competition among diocesan newspaper with a circulation of 25,000 or more.
First-place honors were garnered for the Best Editorial Pages. The judges said, the editorial topics were “timely and well presented,” and they added it was “nice to see an active letters to the editor section.”
Also first place went to Tablet reporter Maria-Pia Negro Chin for her four-part series on “Recovery in the Philippines” after Super Typhoon Haiyan.
The judges called it “very detailed and highly readable.” They cited “multiple sources used to craft the story, including numerous and informative interviews with religious leaders and families affected by the destruction from the typhoon. Perhaps most effective was the reporting how those affected have been rebuilding their livelihoods and what impact the storm had on education.”
The series also took first place in the category of Best News Writing Originating with a Diocesan Paper on an International Event.
Second place awards were received for:
- Best Coverage of the Papal trip to the United States and Cuba. Judges cited the writings of Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, Ed Wilkinson and special correspondent Austen Ivereigh.
- Best Coverage of the Year of Mercy. Judges said “The full text of the Bishop’s pastoral letter provides a detailed overview of the Year of Mercy. The more targeted articles on the Holy Doors and the veneration of St. Maria Goretti use both clerical and lay sources for explanation and reaction. All articles benefit from accompanying photos.”
- Best Regular Scripture Column – Father Jean Pierre Ruiz.
- Best Ad Copywriting – Reconciliation Monday – Lent 2015 by Israel Ochoa. “Copy and design are simple and provide a clear call to action,” said the judges.
- Best Online Ad – Pope in USA Coverage by Shartina Thompson. Judges cited “good image and a good idea to maximize mobile product.”
Third-place award went to Best Coverage of Vocations to the Priesthood, Religious Life, or Diaconate for The Tablet’s pre-ordination special section that features biographies of the newly ordained priests written by Marie Elena Giossi and Maria-Pia Negro Chin.
Honorable mention went to:
- Coverage of Local Politics by Ed Wilkinson and Maria-Pia Negro Chin.
- General Excellence.