The 3-on-3 By the Sea basketball tournament returned for an eighth year in Rockaway Beach. The tournament, a fundraiser for breast cancer research, took place Friday, Aug. 27 in the schoolyard of St. Francis de Sales, Belle Harbor.
All proceeds from the tournament benefit the Clare Droesch Scholarship Fund. Droesch, a former standout guard on the Christ the King H.S., Middle Village, girls’ varsity basketball team, died in May 2018 at the age of 36 after a more than six-year battle with breast cancer.
The CHSAA has released its guidance for high school sports this fall. Some highlights include:
- Vaccinations are at the discretion of each student-athlete and parent.
- COVID-19 testing for student-athletes who are not fully vaccinated will help facilitate safe participation and reduce the risk of transmission.
- Social distancing is defined by the CDC recommendation that schools maintain at least 3 feet of physical distance between students indoors combined with mask-wearing.
- All athletes should wear masks as tolerated during competition.
- Schools must ensure properly sanitized facilities and have hand sanitizer and disposable masks readily available for practices and contests.
- Try to avoid hugging, high fives and shaking hands.
St. Edmund Prep H.S., Sheepshead Bay, has announced a new, multiyear partnership with Under Armour Women through BSN Sports, in which the global performance brand will become the official outfitter of the school’s girls’ sports teams as part of the “Women of Will” campaign.
Through the partnership, Under Armour will be the official brand sponsor, supplying uniforms and apparel for training and game days including a “Women of Will” branding and apparel package.
“BSN sports and Under Armour launched ‘Women of Will’ as an exclusive partnership with selected high-profile girls’ high school programs who empower their student-athletes with performance solutions and a robust female support system, thus continually inspiring the next generation of Lady Eagles to strive for greatness,” said St. Edmund’s athletic director Dan Wiatre.