Sister Mary Louise Murray, a Sister of the Congregation of the Infant Jesus for 84 years, died Jan. 31, 10 days after turning 103.
She began her nursing career at St. Mary’s Hospital, Brooklyn where she became a registered nurse. After graduation, she served at the Motherhouse in Park Slope, as infirmarian to senior Sisters and cared for the sick poor in their homes.
She was assigned to Mercy Hospital, Rockville Centre, 1944-53 and 1956-68. She was appointed director of nursing there in 1963. During her tenure, she oversaw the establishment of the Volunteer Program, including teenage young women as candy stripers, and oversaw the planning for a new wing of the hospital, the Kellenberg Pavilion, which included the first in-patient psychiatric unit in a community hospital in Nassau County, as well as new cardiac and obstetrical departments.
In the late 1960s and early ’70s, she ministered in Brooklyn Hospital and St. Joseph’s Hospital, Far Rockaway. At Brooklyn Hospital, she was assistant director of nursing, responsible for all medical nursing units, the emergency department, progressive care unit and outpatient department. She also assisted with planning and buying a new wing. At St. Joseph’s, she was the consultant to the director of nursing where she prepared Korean nurses to take their New York State Board Exams.
In 1971, she joined the faculty of Molloy College, Rockville Centre.
She later became assistant professor at Long Island College Hospital, Brooklyn Heights, where she served four years teaching family-centered nursing. At the same time, she was an adjunct professor at St. Francis College, Brooklyn Heights, in the Community Health Program.
A past president of the NYS Nurses Association, she served as a consultant for education for the Brooklyn Visiting Nurse Association, and a member of the board of directors-education committee for Adelphi University, New University at Farmingdale, Molloy College and Nassau Community College.