Sister Mariella (Frances) Omilanowicz, C.S.F.N., a member of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth for 89 years, died March 11 at the motherhouse in Monroe, Conn. She was 104.
Born in Worcester, Mass., she entered the Sisters, professed temporary vows in 1930 and perpetual vows in 1936.
In the Diocese of Brooklyn, she taught at St. Stanislaus Kostka, Greenpoint, 1932-34; Holy Cross, Maspeth, 1934-37; St. Adalbert, Elmhurst, 1937-39; St. Peter Claver, Bedford-Stuyvesant, 1939-43; SS. Cyril and Methodius, Greenpoint, 1943-52; and St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr, Ozone Park, 1954-60.
In the late 1960s, she left classroom due to medical issues, and she volunteered in the gift shop at Nazareth Hospital in Philadelphia before transferring to Immaculate Heart of Mary Province in Monroe, Conn., in 1972. In Monroe, she served as the convent’s receptionist. She became a self-taught crafter, making beautiful creations that she gave as gifts. Her crafts were also sold at the province’s “Lawn Festival” each year.
She was predeceased by her sister, Sister Gemma (Anne) Omilanowicz, who also entered the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth in 1927. She died in March, 1967.
Interment was at Holy Family Cemetery, Monroe.