Diocesan News

Continuing Studies for Priesthood on College Level

At Cathedral Prep and Seminary’s Graduation, May 25 at St. James Cathedral Basilica, Downtown Brooklyn, three members of the Class of 2018 were introduced to their new Rector. Three of the 33 graduates have expressed a desire to continue their discernment of a possible priestly vocation at Cathedral Seminary House of Formation, Douglaston, this fall: Shown, from left are: Father Joseph Fitzgerald, vocation director for the Diocese of Rockville Centre; Father Joseph Fonti, rector-president, Cathedral Prep; Joseph Krug of Our Lady of Victory parish, Floral Park; Stephen Jankowski of St. Saviour, Park Slope; Patrice Legoute of Incarnation, Queens Village; Brooklyn Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio; Father George Sears, rector, Cathedral Seminary House of Formation; and Father Sean Suckiel, vocation director for the Diocese of Brooklyn. The commencement speaker was Liz Faublas, host of DeSales Media’s nightly news show, Currents News.

2 thoughts on “Continuing Studies for Priesthood on College Level

  1. I’m sure that the value of the high school seminary is discerned, analyzed, and evaluated on a regular basis, but the value of Cathedral Prep can not be measured solely by the number of men who immediately continue ordination studies after graduation. A four year education at Cathedral Prep gives students a knowledge of and a closeness to the Church that other Catholic high schools simply do not provide. Its graduates become not just priests but also lay leaders for the diocese and its parishes (on occasion even the editor of the diocesan newspaper!). This year, 9% of graduates will continue to study for the priesthood immediately. What great things will the other 91% do for the Church? There’s tremendous value in that, as well.