Christ the King High School is an independent, co-educational Catholic high school with a four-year college preparatory curriculum.
Located in Middle Village, Christ the King draws students from all areas of the city. The school is accredited by the Board of Regents of the State of New York and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
The school is dedicated to creating an atmosphere in which all members of the student body can attain a high level of achievement based upon their unique abilities and relationship with God.
Christ the King has reached a level of academic distinction making it one of the most sought after private high schools in New York City. Each year, its students achieve academic excellence that results in millions of dollars of scholarships from colleges and universities across the nation. Christ the King’s dedicated teachers and support staff have demonstrated both the knowledge and commitment to make its academic program second to none.
The curriculum offerings at Christ the King are designed to allow each student the opportunity to maximize his or her unique potential.
• English: English 9, American literature and British literature. Seniors may choose from AP English, humanities, public speaking/creative writing and world literature.
• Mathematics: Common Core: algebra; Common Core: geometry; Common Core: algebra 2; algebra II. Electives include: Math 12, statistics, pre-calculus and AP calculus.
• Science: Living environment, earth science, chemistry, physics. Additional courses are offered in forensics, anatomy and physiology, environmental science, AP biology and a mentoring program in advanced research.
• Social Studies: Global history and geography I and II, U.S. history and government, government and economics in addition to AP world history, AP U.S. history and AP U.S. government and politics. Elective courses include psychology and sports psychology.
• Religion: Catholic foundations I and II, Hebrew and Christian Scriptures, the Christian way of life. Community service hours are required of all sophomores, juniors and seniors.
• Foreign Language: There are four-year sequences offered in American Sign Language, Italian and Spanish. Up to six transferable college credits from St. John’s University can be granted in American Sign Language, Italian and Spanish.
• Technology: Christ the King offers advanced technical programs to high school students during the regular school day. Courses include intermediate computer science, advanced information technology and AP computer science principles. Students enter the program in their sophomore year and continue until graduation. Students are encouraged to take Microsoft and Certiport certification exams starting during the intermediate computer science course.
• Arts: Freshmen may choose from band, chorus, dance, studio in art or theatre arts. Electives include: advanced band, concert chorus, intermediate and advanced dance, ceramics, drawing and painting, theatre arts and broadcasting.
Christ the King also offers an honors track for ninth through 12th graders, as well as the opportunity for juniors and seniors who excel to participate in St. John University’s College Advantage Program.
Students have a wide array of award winning clubs and activities, including its math, and speech and debate teams, which have consistently been ranked within the top place winners amongst hundreds of high schools throughout New York State.
Students can choose to join clubs and activities such as art, book, broadcasting, chess, dance, drum corps, forensics, journalism, marching band, moch trial, National Honor Society, newspaper, photography, prevention leadership, robotics, technology, student association, theatre arts, video-yearbook, writing for fun and yearbook.
Nationally Renowned Sports
Christ the King High School has a nationally renowned sports program including: basketball, baseball, bowling, cheerleading, football, golf, handball, soccer, softball, step, track and volleyball.
Christ the King High School students have scored as high as the 99th percentile on recent SATs and have gone to nationally ranked colleges and universities, such as MIT, Pennsylvania State, Duke, Georgetown, NYU, St. John’s, Howard, Adelphi, Hofstra, Fordham, St. Francis, Pace, Skidmore, Boston College, The Macaulay Honors Program at CUNY, University of Connecticut and elite U.S. Military academies, such as West Point and the Air Force Academy.
The board of trustees of Christ the King H.S. recognizes the sacrifices that families make in order to ensure a quality, Catholic education for their children. Along with other measures taken to keep tuition affordable, Christ the King offers:
• The Christ the King Continuing Education Catholic School Loyalty Award
This award is offered to students who currently attend a Catholic grammar school or academy. This award totals $2,000 over the course of four years.
• Four-Year Fixed Tuition Rate
Families are guaranteed that their child’s tuition will not increase while attending the school.
Christ the King stands committed to offering its students a safe environment, an excellent education, a place to learn personal responsibility, an opportunity to build a strong body as well as a sharp mind, the challenge of competition in a first-class sports program and a home that places a premium on spiritual growth.
• • •
TACHS Prep for Eighth Graders
The Test for Admissions into Catholic High Schools, also known as the TACHS exam, is taken by all eighth graders who wish to attend a Catholic high school next fall. This year’s exam will be held on Saturday, Nov. 4.
Christ the King Continuing Education is offering TACHS preparatory classes for eighth-grade students. Prep classes give students the tools they need to perform well on the exam by fostering and reinforcing core skills such as vocabulary building, enhancing math skills and improving reading and English language arts skills. Practice exams help students learn test-taking strategies and time management.
The TACHS Program at CK Kids provides two options to best suit families’ needs:
Option 1: TACHS Preparatory Class. Students are placed in separate math and English classes with experienced teachers. Class schedules are offered on two different tracks: Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:30-7 p.m. from Sept. 26 to Nov. 1, or Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. from Sept. 16 to Oct. 28. The cost is $255 and includes books and materials.
Option 2: One-on-one TACHS Tutoring with a Teacher. This plan allows the student individual time with an experienced teacher and lets the student learn at his or her own pace with a customized program and schedule. The cost of a private tutor is $45 per hour with a one-hour minimum.
Parents of all CK Kids’ TACHS registrants are invited to an exclusive seminar aimed at better understanding the high school application process. This informative seminar will be held Saturday, Sept. 16 at 9 a.m. on the Christ the King Campus. For more information, call 718-366-7454 or visit www.ctkny.