Bishop Richard J. Malone of Buffalo, N.Y., announced that the Bishop’s Residence at 77 Oakland Place, Buffalo, will be up for sale this summer. All proceeds from the sale of the property will be dedicated to the Diocese of Buffalo’s Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program to assist victims of past sexual abuse by priests.
“This move underscores the importance we place on helping the victims of abuse to begin healing,” said Bishop Malone, noting that he consulted with the diocesan Finance Council, the College of Consultors and the Presbyteral Council in making this decision.
The former convent at St. Stanislaus Parish on Townsend St. in Buffalo, will be used as the Bishop’s residence and as a venue for small events.
“I am proud to move to the heart of Buffalo’s Polonia, especially as a way to be a small part of the renewal that is happening in so many ways in the Broadway-Fillmore neighborhood,” he sid.
The Diocese of Buffalo will also be selling the Sheehan Residence for retired priests on Linwood Avenue. Proceeds from the sale of that property will be devoted to the Retired Diocesan Priests’ Medical Benefits Fund.
The three-story brick building at Linwood and Utica was originally built in 1928 as the rectory for what was then St. Joseph Cathedral on Delaware Avenue.
The “New Cathedral” as it was known was demolished in the 1970s and the former rectory has been used ever since as a residence for retired priests. The building features 12 suite-style units. There are three other diocesan residences for retired priests which can accommodate those now living at the Sheehan residence.
The Bishop’s Residence, also built in 1928, was designed by architect E.B. Green for the Forman family. The property was sold to the Diocese of Buffalo in 1952 and has been the residence for six of Buffalo’s bishops as well as priests serving on their staffs.
The grand Tudor manor house features four massive stone chimneys, slate roof and a separate apartment above a five-car garage.