Brother Charles Marcellin, F.M.S., a member of the Marist Brothers of the Schools for 63 years, died at Lawrence Hospital in Bronxville, N.Y., Feb. 19. He was 81.
Born in the Bronx, he entered the Marist Juniorate in Esopus in 1952. He became a postulant with the Marist Brothers in 1953 and entered the Marist Brothers Novitiate at Tyngsboro, Mass. in 1954. He professed his final vows in 1960, and earned a master’s degree in history from St. John’s University, Jamaica, in 1964.
After completing his religious and academic studies at Marist College, Poughkeepsie, he began his teaching career at St. Helena H.S, the Bronx, 1958-60. He then taught at St. Mary’s H.S., Manhasset, 1960-62; and Christ the King H.S., Middle Village, 1962-66.
He returned to St. Helena H.S. as assistant principal, 1966-69, before becoming principal of Msgr. Scanlan H.S., the Bronx, 1969-75. He was assistant principal 1975-77, and then principal, 1977-82, at Marist H.S., Bayonne, N.J.
In 1982, he became school treasurer at Archbishop Molloy H.S., Briarwood, where he served until 2012.
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at Our Lady of Mercy Church, Forest Hills, Feb. 22. Burial followed at the Marist Brothers Cemetery in Esopus.